Thursday 20 March 2008

Goldie Lookin' Chain - Safe As F***

***

Great gags - shame about the gags 20 May 2006

I love the GLC. Greatest Hits still cracks me up every time I listen to it, and makes me proud to live in the country next to Wales, but Safe as F***? I'm not quite convinced.

Not that there's anything wrong with the album: it's an absolute belter. Every track is sharp, funny and pokes fun at some or other self-satisfied conceit of chart music, but the problem lies elsewhere. And that problem is Greatest Hits. The most disappointing thing about this disc is that the gag is essentially the same as last time, and no matter how clever the rhymes are, the fundamental knowingly-innocent premise of the band's success is identical to the earlier CD.

So where do the GLC go from here? Who knows. Probably a day trip to Caerphilly.

No comments: