Thursday 20 March 2008

Sennheiser PX100 Headphones

*****

Hard-wearing and very satisfying headphones 23 May 2006


11 of 11 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Hard-wearing and very satisfying headphones, 23 May 2006

I have always been a fan of Sennheiser headphones, as the first set I encountered were one of their high-end hi-fi sets and the sound quality was terrific. I bought these to replace a set of Sennheisers that had travelled great distances with me and were beginning to show their age.

The initial attraction of these headphones lay in their practicality: being able to fold them away into a dedicated carrying case was a great bonus, and the solution is a very tidy one indeed. I have had my set for almost a year now, and the only sign of wear and tear is a slight loosening of one of the hinges. Given that the phones are used every day, this is satisfyingly resilient.

It cannot be claimed of these headphones that they are as discrete as earbud phones, but they are not in any way in competition with the little in-ear devices. These are headphones for people who enjoy listening to music on the move, but place importance on sound quality.

And the sound quality is itself considerable. I use an iriver H320, and even without any bass boost the Sennheisers produce a deep, rich bass tone. With extra bass boost the effect can be quite daunting! But that is not to say they lack finesse: I listen to everything from Renaissance choral music to Wagner to Roni Size, and the Sennheisers prove themselves easily up to my demands of them.

Never once have I regretted buying these headphones, and do not foresee myself replacing them for some time to come.

No comments: