Thursday 20 March 2008

Western Digital 60GB Passport V2 External USB 2.0 2.5" Hard Drive

*****

Portable, light and very effective 25 Nov 2006

Though very portable, flash memory sticks can fill up very quickly, especially if you use large PowerPoint files and audio clips. I am a teacher, and found that, as interactive whiteboards have become more and more common in classrooms, I rely on multimedia in my work, and even a 2 gigabyte memory stick would have been too small.

This portable hard disc has solved a great many problems for me. It now functions as my My Documents folder for my PC, and all I need to do is back up my files from it about once a week. The software provided by Western Digital offers secure encryption, should you wish to really lock down your hard disc, but as I usually have to use at least 2 different computers each day, I have decided against that option.

The disc itself is hardly larger than an iPod, and is very light - sufficiently light to be kept in the inside pocket of a jacket without damaging the lining - and seems well built. The only design drawback is the separate USB cable, but a small cloth bag filched from an old minidisc player accommodates both disc and cable very well.

This really is one of the best purchases I have made in terms of increasing the flexibility with which I can work. No longer do I have to worry about having the right files on my memory stick, or be concerned about the most up-to-date version of a file. Now everything is stored in one place and backed up to one place. Simplicity itself.

No comments: